Some of you may be aware that today there has been a further announcement from the LTA in regards to further reducing playing restrictions. For full details please follow the link below:
In regards to play at Oadby, below are detailed guidelines that are effective for play at the club from Mon 1st June 2020:
· Both singles and doubles play will now be allowed with players from different households.
· Courts – from Tuesday 2nd June all courts will be back open and will be available for booking.
· Booking slots – for the time being these will continue to be available for 1 hour slots with each member having an allocation of 3 bookings per week. These will continue to run for 55 minutes with your session finishing on time, ensuring there is no cross over between bookings. If playing on clay please also consider time will be needed for you to sweep the courts. We will monitor the length of booking slots and will possibly increase this back to 2 hours over the coming weeks if possible.
· Social distancing – nothing has changed in this respect. Continue to observe a minimum distance of 2 meters and please leave the club promptly after you have finished playing. This is certainly more important now as there will be a lot more people arriving/leaving the club.
· Hygiene – Please make sure you have washed/sanitised your hands before you arrive at the club and after play. Please also consider wearing a glove when sweeping the clay courts or at least sanitising your hands immediately after sweeping.
· Symptoms – all of the original guidelines still stand. If you or any member of your household have shown any symptoms of Covid-19 or believe you may have been in contact with someone who has then please do not come to the club.
· Club House – the club house will remain closed apart from access to the toilets, which has to be used strictly with one person only entering the changing rooms at any time. There will be a cone placed in the reception area, if you do enter the changing rooms can you please block off the entrance using the cone as an indicator that the changing rooms are in use. Once you have finished, please place the cone back out of the way of the door.
· Members Only – we will continue for the time being to restrict play to members only.
· Coaching – although coaching in small groups (up to 6 including the coach) has now been authorised by the LTA, we are not going to be offering any group sessions initially and this will be reviewed over the next week or so. We need a bit longer to find a completely safe way to offer this and will not do so until we have suitable procedures in place.
If anyone is unsure or has any questions regarding the above then please let me know. Again I would stress that all members must adhere to the above and apply common sense when playing at the club to ensure we can all enjoy tennis in the safest environment possible.
Best wishes and I hope to see you soon.
Following the government’s relaxing of certain lockdown rules, from
Wednesday 13th May I am pleased to confirm that we will be able to open
up the courts for limited play.
Before I go in to more detail I
would like to say that all decisions have been made with the health and
wellbeing of all members in mind and we will of course continue to
follow advice from Public Health England and the LTA when making any
future changes to what is detailed below.
It is great news that
we are now in a position to get back on court but we all have a
responsibility to show common sense and behave in a manner which allows
tennis to be played in the safest possible way.
From Wednesday 13th May, court bookings will be available but must only be made following the rules below:
Courts 1,3,4 & 6 will be available for bookings. The nets on courts
2 & 5 will be taken down to ensure these courts are not used at any
time, this will help to ensure social distancing. The mini courts are
also not to be used at the present time.
· Courts will be available
to be booked for singles play. This can be with a member of your
household or one other non-household member.
· Bookings for doubles play is only available where all four players reside at the same household.
· All court bookings must be made via ClubSpark. If you are not registered with ClubSpark, please visit our website (www.oadbytennis.co.uk) where you can register.
Please do not visit the club or arrive to play without booking a court,
even if there is availability showing. This is mainly for safety
reasons but this will also help us to assess court usage which, in turn,
will help us implement further changes if necessary.
· Booking slots
will be available for a maximum of 1 hour only with these starting
promptly on the hour. You must leave the court 5 minutes before the end
of your session please to ensure there is no crossover with people
entering the court after you. This means that each session will last for
55 minutes and allows a generous time for changeovers adhering to
· Each member will be initially restricted to a
maximum of 2 booking slots per week to help spread availability for all
members. This does not mean you are only allowed to play twice per week,
but you are only allowed to personally book 2 slots per week.
· Until further notice, all players must be members of the club.
· The club house will remain closed with no access possible to either the main room or changing/toilet facilities.
Court bookings will be available from 9am until 8pm. Please be aware
that if you do book an 8pm slot no floodlight use will be available.
· No courts to be booked for juniors after 6pm.
No individual coaching sessions will be available initially. This will
be reviewed over the next week and we will advise further on this in due
· Please bring along your own wipes/sanitiser to use for
entering and leaving the courts. Please use common sense in regards to
whether you need to adjust the net height. If you do decide to adjust
this then please ensure that you clean/sanitise your hands straight
away. Please also clean/sanitise hands after sweeping the clay courts.
During play, socially distancing measures must be adhered to at all
times without any exception. Please avoid shaking hands, high fives and
· Once you have finished play, please leave the court and club premises as soon as possible.
I think it is really important to give everyone a clear indication of
what is expected and I would politely ask for all members to follow the
above rules without exception. These rules are for the safety of
I fully appreciate that this might not be ideal for
every single person, especially our many junior members who we are not
currently able to offer their usual coaching and daytime members who
play doubles at club mix ins etc. We will assess the how the initial
opening goes and upon advice from PHE and the LTA. If we are able to
extend the sessions then we will, but not until it is completely safe to
Many thanks for all of your patience and for continuing
to support the club. If you need any further advice or questions
regarding the above then please do feel free to contact me.
Please stay safe and best wishes.
Oadby (Granville) Tennis & Social Club
I hope you are well.
Apologies for contacting you again but following on from the announcement made
by the government earlier this evening we have taken the decision to close the
club for all tennis activities with immediate effect. This means that no
members should use the courts or any facilities at any time until further
In these most challenging of times there really is no benefit in putting
yourselves or others at risk.
Please do stay safe and look after each other. I hope to be able to send you a
more positive message in a few weeks times.
Oadby (Granville) Tennis & Social Club
I hope you are all keeping safe and well.
Following advice from Public Health England and the LTA we have now taken the decision that all group coaching sessions will now be cancelled with immediate effect. Along with this we have now enforced a full closure of the club house, including the changing rooms and toilets.
Ben and Zaheed are still offering individual coaching sessions to both senior and junior members. If you would like to contact them to arrange this their contact details are as follows:
Ben – 07723 331777
Zaheed – 07421 237390
I would stress that the courts are still open and are available to use. Getting out to play tennis in our current situation can been very beneficial both physically and mentally but we have to ensure this is done in the safest possible way.
At the bottom of this email there is a link to the full LTA statement, but please find a summary below which I would kindly ask all members to adhere to:
Please bring your own hand sanitisers and use both before and after play
Use online booking for courts. Do not arrive to play tennis without booking a court
A buffer period is to be implemented between court booking slots to allow time for players to leave before next players arrive. I would ask members to arrive 5-10 minutes after your booking time to ensure there is time for the players beforehand to leave the club
Activity should only take place where travel to and from the courts can be done in a way compliant with social distancing advice, with players not travelling together unless they are part of a group residing in the same place
Activity should be in line with the Government’s advised social distancing measures at all times(defined by Public Health England as spending no more than 15 minutes within a 2-metre distance of someone), including when arriving to and departing from a court
If you are not confident that you can adhere to the social distancing guidance when undertaking tennis, please do not play
Players are advised not to change ends during play
Ensure no physical contact during warm-ups, during play or at any time. This includes handshakes, high fives, touching elbows etc. A 2 metre distance must be maintained.
Full LTA statement: https://www.lta.org.uk/about-us/tennis-news/news-and-opinion/general-news/2020/march/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-venues/
Apologies if these measures seem harsh, but these are made with the best interests of all members in mind.
Personally I would urge all members to please listen to the advice provided by the government and Public Health England. These are difficult times but if everyone can make sensible decisions to help each other then we can hopefully get through this sooner rather than later. Please do stay safe and look after yourselves and each other.
I just wanted to send a quick email to update everyone following the updated advice from the government and Public Health England.
With the situation being so serious it is important that we do everything we can to support each other and to protect the health of our members. With this in mind I would ask everyone to note the following:
1) The main club house room will not be open for members or parents to use, only the toilets and changing room areas will be open.
2) All members are requested to wash their hands both before and after playing tennis.
3) Players are asked to avoid handshakes, hugs, high 5’s etc and are to maintain a sensible personal distance at all times (2-3 metres is recommended)
4) Unless we receive advice from the LTA to the contrary all tennis courts will remain open.
5) Hygiene and cleaning will be stepped up to ensure all surfaces are cleaned regularly, in particular all hard surfaces, door handles etc.
6) Coaching will continue as normal for the time being but will be reviewed if/when schools are closed or if we receive advice from the LTA in regards to this.
In addition to the above, please note that the following events have, unfortunately, had to be postponed:
· Wimbledon Ballot (on 4th April). New date to be arranged if needed.
· Opening Season Tournament
· Junior Quorn Cup
· Helper Session – 21st March
It is essential that anybody with suspected signs of or direct contact with Covid 19 should not attend the club and should self-isolate.
Best wishes to everyone and please stay safe.
A great night for OGTC at the Tennis Leicestershire Awards last night.
Ben won Club Development Coach of the Year and Jack won Junior Player – Male, congratulations to both ! Club member Neil Phillips won the Lifetime Achievement award for his work in tennis, especially as a Director of Tennis Leicestershire. Other OGTC nominations were Chloe (Junior Player – Female), George M (Volunteer of the year), Matt H (Junior Player – Male) and the club’s Inclusive Wimbledon event for Competition of the Year.
The club picked up the Sadd Cup (Ladies’ 1sts), Tennis Leicestershire Cup (Men’s Vets Division One Winners for 6 out of the last 7 years), 4 other league wins and the Fallows Cup Plate.
Awards were presented by Peter Fleming who also spoke about his tennis career, with amusing stories of encounters with tennis greats like Illie Nastase, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe his long term doubles partner.
The annual spring tournament will, as you know, take place from the 28th March -4th April.
usual, there will be ladies singles and doubles, men’s singles and
doubles and mixed doubles events. For doubles events you are at liberty
to pick your partner so long as the total value of points of the pairing
is not less than 5. Your individual points is based upon the team that
you played for last season. If you did not play for a team you will
automatically be a 5 (unless advised otherwise by Ben or Zaheed) meaning
you and 4th team players can partner anyone.
This year the
tournament is open to all club members, yes including day members and
invited juniors. It would be great to have as many people enter as
possible as it is a great chance to meet with players you may not
normally play with, test your skills and blow away the winter cobwebs.
Submit this APPLICATION FORM by the 20th March. Further rules and information can be found on the form, but should you have any questions please email them to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope the weather will be somewhat warmer and drier for the tournament than it has been of late!
TENNIS AND CLUB DIARY for 2020
Additional events will be added during the year.
Saturday 1st February pm – JUNIOR AUSSIE TOURNAMENT
Sunday 2nd February- SENIORS AUSSIE TOURNAMENT from 12 noon
Wednesday 5th February – USA TOURNAMENT 7pm start
Monday 17th February – Friday 21st – JUNIORS RATINGS TOURNAMENT
Monday 2nd March – TENNIS LEICESTERSHIRE AWARDS NIGHT
Wednesday 4th March – USA TOURNAMENT
Saturday 7th March – QUIZ
Saturday 14th March pm – AFTERNOON TEA in aid of LOROS
Saturday 28th March – Saturday 4th APRIL – OPENING SEASON TOURNAMENT (All finals on 4/4)
Saturday 5th September- Sunday 20th – ANNUAL CLUB TOURNAMENT
Wednesday 28th October – AGM
Sunday 20th December – TINSEL TENNIS
Monday 28th October 2019 at 7.00 p.m.
1. Chairman’s Welcome
2. Apologies for absence
3. Acceptance of the Minutes of the 2018 AGM
4. Matters arising from the Minutes
5. Chairman’s Report
6. Committee Reports
7. Acceptance of Accounts for 2019
8. Election of committee for 2019/20
9. Handover to new committee
10. Election of team captains for 2020
11. Any other business
An informal forum will follow the main AGM after a short interval.